Looking for opinions on which appliances are best?
This is just my personal opinion; do your own due diligence.
My Favorite Research Sources
- Consumer Reports
- America’s Test Kitchen (PBS)
- Troubleshooting and Repairing Major Appliances
- The Everyday Gourmet: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Cooking (via Great Courses Plus)
- Samurais Appliance Brand Recommendation Report, 3rd Edition
- Yale Appliance Blog
- Appliance Trade Show by Nationwide
- Bosch: Very quiet and efficient. I prefer 3rd rack models.
- Whirlpool: Lowest repair rate, wide selection.
- GE: Mainstream models like GDF610 and GDF650 have performed well.
- Dishwasher Drawers: I am no longer convinced these are so amazing; can get efficiency in a single dishwasher now.
- Luxury Segment: Miele Knock2open is neat.
- Thor: Still testing; looks like a good value so far.
Hard to say. I’ve learned:
- I like French door, dual-evaporator, counter-depth, pro handles.
- Dual evaporators make produce last longer
- KitchenAid is a favorite in the repair community
- Chest freezers are under-appreciated
- SubZero is excellent in the premium category
- Samsung has my favorite new features
Best Outdoor Grill
Hmmm. My 2017 hobby.
- Weber: I don't sell it, but most models are excellent.
- Charcoal: Ceramic, either Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg
- Gas & Built-In: Napoleon for quality / features. I suspect Coyote and Bull are also nice.
- Luxury Gas: DCS if I could afford the flat grill.
- Wood Pellet Grill: Traeger. Also hear good things on Yoder.
- Avoid: Cheap stainless or grates. Use a cover.
- Durable & Effective: Speed Queen top-loader, like the TR5
- Quiet & Efficient: Electrolux, like 627 or 527 series.
- Tech: Sometime like Samsung 5200 or LG Twin-Wash.
- Small space: Closets can use laundry centers, like GUD27ESSJWW in the $1200 range. Or compact units from Bosch or Electrolux.
- Lowest price: Used on craigslist. Go for stainless tub, large capacity, avoid used front loaders
- Dryer Features: Spend on models with a moisture sensor, better drum and maybe steam.
- Detergent: Less is more. I'm told powder performs best on stains but is harshest.
- Bonus: Use plastic dryer balls from HEB. For stains consider Oxiclean powder and Persil 2-in-1.
- Install matters. Avoid recirculation and downdraft when possible.
- Value: Vent-a-Hood Power Lung, like K Series
- Premium: Vent-a-Hood Magic Lung, like this liner.
- High CFM / $: Thor hoods. Be careful shipping, and CFM isn't everything.
Best Toaster Oven
- Breville SmartIQ BOV800XL. Seriously, it’s great in the $250 range. I found it from hunting down the best toaster, and never looked back.
Best Ice Maker
- Expect it to break every two years. Don’t have a favorite yet. Leaning toward Ice-o-Matic residential unit.
- No sales tax weekend in Texas on Energy Star
- Closeout and obsolete models
- Big-box laundry specials on either 4th of July or Black Friday
- Open-box with a manufacturer warranty from a trusted retailer
- Brands that have a good service network / reputation
- Using manufacturer rebates